On 24 July 2015 the Chief Inspector published a Notice regarding application for construction work permit in terms of the Construction Regulations, 2014. In terms of this Notice temporary exemptions from regulation 3 were granted.
The Department of Labour has issued the 2nd exemption relating to Construction Permits.
As of 27 July 2018, Construction Permits are required for:
1. Projects longer than 365 days in total
2. Projects longer than 3600 person days
3. Projects with a CIDB Grading of 7 and higher (R40 million and above).
The notice has not been gazetted yet, but has been circulated by the Chief Inspector to an unknown list of Industry Stakeholders.
You can download the official notice here.
The Construction Regulations of 2014 :
- “construction work permit” means a document issued in terms of regulation 3;
- Application for construction work permit
3. (1) A client who intends to have construction work carried out, must at least 30 days
before that work is to be carried out apply to the provincial director in writing for a construction
work permit to perform construction work if the intended construction work will—
(a) exceed 180 days;
(b) will involve more than 1800 person days of construction work; or
(c) the works contract is of a value equal to or exceeding thirteen million rand or
Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) grading level 6.
(2) An application contemplated in subregulation (1) must be done in a form similar to
(3) The provincial director must issue a construction work permit in writing to perform
construction work contemplated in subregulation (1) within 30 days of receiving the construction
work permit application and must assign a site specific number for each construction site.
(4) A site specific number contemplated in subregulation (3) must be conspicuously
displayed at the main entrance to the site for which that number is assigned.
(5) A construction work permit contemplated in this regulation may be granted only if—
(a) the fully completed documents contemplated in regulation 5(1)(a) and (b) have
been submitted; and
(b) proof in writing has been submitted—
(i) that the client complies with regulation 5(5)
(ii) with regard to the registration and good standing of the principal contractor
as contemplated in regulation 5(1)(j); and
(iii) that regulation 5(1)(c), (d), (e), (f), (g) and (h) has been complied with.
(6) A client must ensure that the principal contractor keeps a copy of the construction work
permit contemplated in subregulation (1) in the occupational health and safety file for inspection
by an inspector, the client, the client’s authorized agent, or an employee.
(7) No construction work contemplated in subregulation (1) may be commenced or carried
out before the construction work permit and number contemplated in subregulation (3) have
been issued and assigned.
(8) A site specific number contemplated in subregulation (3) is not transferrable.
a) Refer to exemption issued by the Chief Inspector.
b) The 30 days required to issue a Construction Work Permit is on condition that all
correct and fully completed documents are submitted as per the attached ‘list of
items (not limited to) to be submitted with the construction work permit
c) Where any person aggrieved by any decision taken by an inspector in relation to
the application of a Construction Work Permit under a provision of this regulation
may appeal against such decision to the chief inspector in terms of Section 35.
d) The Construction Work Permit shall be issued to the Client for whom the
Construction work is conducted.
How to ensure compliance at my operation?
An application for a construction permit must be applied for to the provincial director if operations intend to have construction work carried on or after 7 August 2018 in the circumstances listed above. The application must be submitted at least 30 days before construction work commence.
We assist clients and developers with the application process, we will draft all the required documentation and we will manage the occupational health and safety compliance on the entire project. We have a 100 % approval rate on all submitted permit applications and some of our projects can be viewed in the projects section.
Website Tags: Health and safety file, Safety File,Safety Files,Health and Safety Consultants,Construction Work Permit,SHE Files,Health and Safety