A client who intends to have construction work carried out, must at least 30 days before that work is to be carried out apply to the provincial director in writing for a construction work permit to perform construction work .
On 24 July 2015 the Chief Inspector published a Notice regarding application for construction work permit in terms of the Construction Regulations, 2014. In terms of this Notice temporary exemptions from regulation 3 were granted.
The Department of Labour has issued the 2nd exemption relating to Construction Permits.
As of 27 July 2018, Construction Permits are required for:
1. Projects longer than 365 days in total
2. Projects longer than 3600 person days
3. Projects with a CIDB Grading of 7 and higher (R40 million and above).
The notice has not been gazetted yet, but has been circulated by the Chief Inspector to an unknown list of Industry Stakeholders.
You can download the official notice here.
How to ensure compliance at my operation?
A client may appoint a Construction Health and Safety Agent or Construction Health and Safety Manager based on the scope and risk profile of construction work to represent him/her on matters of health and safety. Provided that, where the question arises as to whether a Construction Health Safety Agent or a Construction Health and Safety Manager is necessary, the decision of an inspector is decisive.- As amended :Construction Regulations 02 June 2017
An application for a construction permit must be applied for to the provincial director if operations intend to have construction work carried on or after 7 August 2018 in the circumstances listed above. The application must be submitted at least 30 days before construction work commence.
We assist clients and developers with the application process, we will draft all the required documentation and we will manage the occupational health and safety compliance on the entire project. We have a 100 % approval rate on all submitted permit applications and some of our projects can be viewed in the projects section.
Some of the services we offer include :
- Construction Work Permit Applications
- Drafting of the Client Health and Safety Specifications
- Drafting of Project Baseline Risk Assessments
- Drafting of Mandatary Agreements
- Drafting of Contractor Appointments
- Approval of Contractors Health and Safety Plans
- Monthly Site Inspections and reports
- Monthly Legal Compliance Audits on all Principal Contractors
- Prepare OHS compliance report
- Prepare Project Close out reports