Health and Safety Agents
We assist all clients and developers with legal compliance on projects, by acting as the Clients Health and Safety Agent. We deliver our services at the lowest rates in the industry, without compromising on service or quality.
Some of the services we offer include :
- Construction Work Permit Applications
- Drafting of the Client Health and Safety Specifications
- Drafting of Project Baseline Risk Assessments
- Drafting of Mandatary Agreements
- Drafting of Contractor Appointments
- Approval of Contractors Health and Safety Plans
- Monthly Site Inspections and reports
- Monthly Legal Compliance Audits on all Principal Contractors
- Prepare OHS compliance report
- Prepare Project Close out reports
We are SACPCMP registered and our CHSA services is in line with the SACPCMP -CHSA Scope of serices.
The bottom line – we do not charge enormous monthly fees, we are professional and will keep your project and contractors legally compliant.
The CHSA explained
The Client (Construction Project Owner) has the duty, imposed on them by the Construction Regulations 2014, of managing Construction Health and Safety and compliance on their construction project. This requirement is not imposed on projects for the construction of a single story dwelling in which the Client will reside.
Designers and Contractors also have construction health and safety duties to perform on Construction Projects. The Client has the duty to ensure that these and other project appointees (mandataries) perform their respective Construction Health and Safety duties in terms of the Construction Regulations 2014 (as ammended).
The Client may elect to appoint a Construction Health and Safety Agent to act on their behalf. On projects that require a Department of Labour Permit to commence the construction work, the appointment of a Construction Health and Safety Agent is mandatory.
An Agent is a person who acts as a representative of the Client and a Construction Health and Safety Agent has the Construction Health and Safety Duties of the Client imposed on them as Agent.
These duties include ensuring that:
- The Clients Duties are fulfilled
- Each Professional and Consultant team member performs their duties
- Each Contractor performs their duties
- The Health and Safety of any person entering the site is protected
- The Health and Safety of any person affected by the construction work is protected
- Hazards, including ergonomic hazards, associated with construction, operation and maintenance of the structure (building or civil) are controlled
A Construction Health and Safety (CHS) Agent must be registered with the South African Council of Construction and Project Management Professions (SACPCMP).
The CHS Agent has the duty of managing (planning, organising, leading and controlling) health and safety on a construction project. However, such an appointment does not transfer responsibility or liability away from the Client.
(If the person is not authorised to act as the Clients Representative and manage construction project health and safety on the project, then they are not the Clients CHS Agent for the project).
It is important that the Client is confident that their appointed CHS Agent is capable of representing them and of managing health and safety on their project.
Only the competencies of persons registered with the SACPCMP are assessed and they are governed by a Code of Conduct, enforced by disciplinary procedures, that establishes the level of professionalism expected of them.
The SACPCMP has identified a Scope of Work (64 services and 62 deliverables) that the Professional Construction Health and Safety Agent (Pr. CHSA) must be able to perform. The Scope of Work describes a process of managing health and safety and ensuring CHS compliance across all stages of a construction project. Although the process is the same across all projects, the outcomes are likely to be unique, based on the particular requirements of each project.
Persons registered with the SACPCMP as Pr. CHSA’s or Pr.CHSM are permitted to advise, represent and perform the duties of the Client across all construction project stages, and on certain projects, their appointment is mandatory.